June 02, 2023

[OD'd on his suboxone]

 by Diane Seuss

OD'd on his suboxone and not on purpose, opened in the kitchen dark a bottle

I thought was my own trifling med and took his drug instead, stop signs he called them,

helps you stop without insane withdrawal, but tells me now he just used it to deepen

his high, heighten his depths, he didn't care what he took or did or what combo

he imbibed, just ate up anything to make it better. Deader. I had no clue what I'd done

until later in bed my Self began to break into parts of equal measure like frames of film

unspliced and floating away from each other, alone, couldn't figure out how to use

the phone to call for help or to swallow my own spit, three days I sat up on the sofa

for fear of disremembering to breathe if I slept, him gone, out of his mind on dope

he tells me now, too hot for long sleeves and his arms covered in tracks so he

wouldn't come home for fear I'd see. On the third day, I returned to myself though

never all the way for I had glimpsed the oblivion he sought hourly for years, saw

I'd authored him in my bones, he was my allegory, analogy, corollary, mirror, I forged

his suffering, his nail, his needle, his thrill. Of course I swallowed the stupid pill.

No comments: